Friday, September 4, 2009

contiki cruise insanity

i just got home this morning from 7 days of amazingness. im really looking back on them with so much excitement and happiness its great. we started our journey on the cristal sailing to Istanbul, Turkey!! Honestly I wasnt expecting much. I guess I imagined an overcrowded dirty city but I was so mistaken. It was shockingly beautiful. And so inviting. I learned so much about Islam while in Turkey, through the mosques and the fact that is is Ramadan right now. I guess being a Jew I dont make an attempt to learn about Muslims but it was really crazy and eye-opening.
Then we went to Mykonos!!! Honestly. Our day in Mykonos was my favorite. Such incredible tiny streets and darling shops, with the ocean all around. Crepes, Coronas, and plenty of Tequila shots. It was just the paradise I've always imagined. So free!
Patmos and Kusadisi the next day...(Well Kusadisi at least..sorry not everyone can make it out of the boat at 7am!!) Kusadisi was incredible. It is a small port on the coast of Turkey. The Turks are so nice and friendly! (WHOAA a little too friendly sometimes) Chloe, some others and myself toured Ephesus, an amazing ancient city only 18% excavated. We werent sure we made the right choice because it was very hot and old shit looks very similar after a while, especially if you're hungover, but we were pleasantly proven wrong. it was spectacular. I really love old shit. hahah
Next day on to Rhodes. I did this day by myself, woke up kinda sorta early (11am?) and ventured with my DK eyewitness book into Rhodes. I had the most relaxing, fun day, wondering the streets of the Old city by myself, stopping in shops and getting snacks. I sat at the sea for a long time. Writing and thinking. It was perfect.
Crete and Santorini finished out our trip. I talked to Sally about how amazing I think Oia is. It is a place with just about no historic value, nothing really to offer, except its beauty. And people flock there in the thousands, to just witness something so beautiful.
There is so much. so much more. I rode a donkey. After being the one all gunghoe about the experience and Nick being scared, I ended up being kicked off (verbally not literally) halfway down the mountain while he acted like a cowboy. The sunset was perfect. Our drunken dinners, with hundreds of different plates with weird (veggie jello?) and amazing (flaming baked alaska), and Miss Mojito. Yes I would say we had an incredible time. Back in Athens, and feeling quite sick. Might be have been the alcohol, or the food, or the rocking of the boat, but Im just not quite together this afternoon. Internet, you have been truly missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment