Monday, November 30, 2009

Parents Come to Greece!


I am taking a break from finishing up my 5 page paper to do some blogging. Its been a while kids. Ive been a busy girl not on the computer much the past week or so. My parents came last week and it was great.

They arrived last Saturday (or two Saturdays ago) and I had told them I was going to meet them at Syntagma at 11 (thats where the metro from the airport takes you) but I knew that even waking up at 7 am wouldnt stop me from going to the airport to get them. I was too excited and anxious. This is Greece, my country and I wanted to show it to them. and I guess that meant even from the airport to Syntagma. It was so nice, I can even explain. To feel so at home with two people who know me best. To show them these things that I love and these places that excite me. To show them what I have learned. I hadn't planned on skipping out completely on school, but the lack of real class/assignments influenced me to play hooky all week. It was nice to sleep in a comfy hotel bed, watch some tv and talk for days on end to my parents.

We went to Delphi on Sunday and rented a car to drive there. It was hilarious and hectic seeing as Athenian driving is ridiculous (I would say almost on Israels level of insanity, but then mixed with New York traffic). And the only car we could get was a stick shift. But no stalls occurred and we made it to Delphi safely. I couldnt believe how beautiful the area was. Delphi is situated in the ski mountains of Greece. The whole time I kept thinking oh Ben would love it here!! I felt kinda bad him and I hadnt gone when he visited but maybe one day. During the week we explored to our leisure. Athens is such a leisurely city I feel like it would be hard to be a tourist here. Athenians dont have the run run run see as much as possible feel in them. They see the Agora for a half an hour, then sit for coffee for two. I had to teach my parents the Greek way of life that means you sit and relax and talk your time. It is hard to adjust to, I know that well. But it certainly has brought my stress levels down overall.

Life is so calm here and relaxing. and things dont work (ever I may add), but you dont stress. It will be okay. I keep telling myself that.

I cannot believe tomorrow is December. December is going to be the most amazing month in history of my life I think. I can feel it. On Thursday Melissa, Jayna and I jetset for Milan. I was there 6 years ago so dont remember it well but it should be great. The three of us are all really really excited for Italian food. I warned them I may get gnocchi for ever meal. We are trying to figure out taking a day trip to Lack Como too. It is suppose to be absolutely amazing.

Then I get to spend my last few weeks in Athens. We are making a bucketlist of things to do before we leave. So much has to be done!

Finally on the 17th I am flying to Paris and meeting up with my Dad to do the Taylor-Mother-Son/ Father-Daughter journey through Belgium and the Netherlands. Paris, Bruges and Amsterdam are on our itinerary. I then fly home Christmas eve where my mom and may will pick me up from the airport. I am so excited for this month. It is amazing.

Also did you realize the decade is coming to a close? I just realize that. I have lived through my second decade (I dont remember that much of the first) but isnt that cool? I think so anyway.

Food for Thought: Okay remember the movie Godzilla with Matthew Broderick made in like 1998? It makes no sense. Why could Godzilla swim all the way from the French Polynesian islands in the South Pacific all the way to New York City. Honestly it just doesnt make sense. Did he go around the tip of South America? or through the Panama Canal? LA is on the West Coast! that would have made so much more sense. Then again there is nothing like movies that destroy NYC.

No comments:

Post a Comment